Do you ever find yourself yearning for more? Even though you're not really sure what you want "more" of?
Do you keep thinking there has to be more to life than the monotonous routine you're stuck in day to day?
We've all had these feelings. Longing for more in our lives but not sure what it means or how to get it. That's because God wired us for a much richer experience than just bills, errands and work. He wants to have an intimate connection with us and to give us a life full of richness and blessings.
But it is a two way street and we need to pursue our relationship with God just as passionately as we would anything else we want in life. Often, it's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of pursuing the perfect job, the higher salary, the object of our romantic desires or the perfect home. But more importantly than any of these Earthly desires, is our soul's desire for a deeper experience.
As you go through your mundane daily activities, how aware are you of God's presence?
That's right! God is still there... when you're washing the dishes, picking up the kids at school or typing away at your desk. He never left your side and He wants you to do EVERYTHING for His glory. Even those daily activities that may seem trivial or insignificant.
So how can you be intentional about pursuing God every day and becoming more aware of His presence at all times?
- Start off each day with at least 10-15 minutes of quiet time with God. It might not sound like a lot, but starting your day off EVERY day by talking to God puts you in a grateful state of mind and opens your ears to God's voice.
- As you go through your daily activities, picture God right there beside you! That's right, visualize Him sitting in the cubicle next to you at work or in the car behind you in the carpool line. Remember, even though you cannot see Him, He is always with you. In fact, the more you tune in to His presence in this way, the more you will "see" and "hear" Him... in a song on the radio, the smile of a stranger passing by or the sun shining through your window.
- Ask yourself how you can bring glory to God in everything you do. Although you might think there is no way your mundane tasks can mean anything to God, they can. If you answer phones for a living, you can convey the love and patience of Christ in how you treat the people on the other end of the phone. If you serve hamburgers, do it with a smile and be the light in someone's otherwise dark day.
- Be grateful! God is always blessing us. All day, every day! But so often, we are too caught up in our busyness to realize it. Thank Him for every blessing you receive, both big and small. The parking spot close to the door or the highway free of traffic when you're running late to work. When you take the time to acknowledge your blessings and give thanks for them, you will find yourself not only closer to God's presence but enveloped in it.
- Say goodnight to Him every night. Just as important as beginning your day with God, is ending your day with God. Put all your cares on Him, thank Him for the blessings of your day and ask Him to show up tomorrow. By beginning and ending all of your days with God, whether they're significant or mundane, you keep yourself in His presence.
Your were designed to be in close relationship with God. Don't let the busyness of life steal that joy away. You already have the power to quench what your soul is longing for... all you have to do is LOOK UP.